The African Writers Development Trust (AWDT) is accepting submissions for the 2019 African Writers Award on the theme “Cultural stereotypes in African Literature: Rewriting the narrative for the 21st Century Reader” in the following categories:
Flash Fiction: Max 300 words
Short Stories: 2,500 – 5,000 words
Poetry: Max 30 lines
Children’s stories: Max 1,500 with illustrations (optional).
Four writers of African descent will win prestigious awards. The awards will be presented at the 2019 African Writers Conference Dinner and Awards Night scheduled to hold in September this year. The venue, date and time will be communicated at a later date.
Please consider the following:
- Although the author retains full copyright, AWDT reserves the right to use the winning stories for promotional purposes only. This may include publishing it in the Writers Space Africa monthly magazine.
- The Longlist will be announced in July while the shortlist will be announced early August.
- The winners will be awarded at the award ceremony in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Submissions must be in English and must never have been published on any platform.
- All entries must be themed-based. We are looking for write-ups that will focus on “Cultural stereotypes in African Literature: Rewriting the narrative for the 21st Century Reader”.
- Only one entry per writer.
- Submissions must include the author’s picture, including links to social media pages (if any) in the submission form.
- Deadline for submission is May 31st, 2019.
Go to African Writers Conference website to submit your work.