Mystery Publishers is an Indie Publishing Company offering digital-only (eBook) and Print-on-Demand publisihing services on online platforms. Mystery Books, an imprint of Mystery Publishers, publishes eBooks only.
We focus on the following manuscript categories:
Fiction – Novels, Short stories, noir fiction, flash fiction stories, etc under the following genre (from 15,000 words).
Erotica is one genre literature that is shunned by many African writers. We want to break those chains that hold many writers back and publish African erotic stories Africans by Africans.
NOTE: Erotica is not pornography. Research well and distinguish your work from the latter.
Poetry – Poetry in general, more so if you are an avant-garde poet
Non-Fiction – Inspirational, biographies, non-fiction narratives
Our audience is generally young adult and adult.
Mystery Publishers is an online Indie Publishing Company thus we accept email submissions only.
- Submissions should be in English. Send in a two-page synopsis of what your book is about and disclose whether the manuscript has been submitted to another publisher, reviewed by a third party and their comments, or whether you’re republishing
- The submission should be accompanied by a brief, concise cover email about the book
- The manuscript should be in MS Word—.doc, .docx, or .rtf
- Manuscript should be typed, 1.5 spacing, 12pt, Times New Roman
- Include ‘Manuscript Submission by (your name)’ in the subject of the email
- If your work has been previously published indicate where and when and whether you have non-exclusive rights from the publisher
- The manuscripts must have the author’s name, contacts, and address. The author must inform us of any changes of address.
The manuscript, once received, will be reviewed within seven (7) days and the author contacted and be informed whether it meets our publishing requirements. If a manuscript is accepted for publication, the author will be contacted to sign a publishing contract. Details of agreement are laid down, and if both parties are satisfied with the terms, the manuscript is then produced as a book.
SHORT STORY Collections: Minimum 22,500 Words
NOVELLA: Between 10,000 and 40,000 words
NOVEL: Between 40,000 words and 100,000 words.
Here are some of the genres in a little more detail:
- Adult fiction (commercial and literary): Between 80,000 – 100,000 words.
- Science and fantasy fiction:Between 90,000 – 120,000 words. They are the exceptions to the ‘word-limit’ rule, but even so they don’t usually exceed 150,000 words because audiences of this genre are happy to read epic novels, they expect it to take time to build the fantasy world around them and want to immerse themselves into that world for some time.
- Romance novels:Between 50,000 – 100,000.
- Historical fiction: Between 90,000 – 120,000 words.
- Crime/Mysteries/Thrillers/Horror fiction: Between 70,000 – 90,000 words.
- Young adult fiction:Between 50,000 – 80,000 words.
NON-FICTION:No specific word count here because many non-fiction books are acquired on concept rather than a complete manuscript. But as a general rule, our minimum word count is 10,000 words
- Guidebooks, etc