The 2023 edition of the Afrika Redefined Indie Book Prize for quality, independently published books (fiction, poetry, and creative/narrative non-fiction) by Kenyan authors shall open for submissions on 01 February 2023.
About the Prize. The Afrika Redefined Indie Book Prize is an annual prize managed by Mystery Publishers, a Kenyan premier pan-African independent publisher with a bias toward African speculative fiction and genre/pop literature stories.
The 2023 winner will be awarded Ksh.30,000.
- Eligibility. The Prize is open to Kenyan authors. A Kenyan is a citizen by birth if, on the day of the person’s birth, whether or not the person is born in Kenya, either the mother or father of the person is a citizen or through naturalisation.
- Self-publishers may submit books on behalf of their authors.
- Books Eligible
- Print (hard copies) and eBooks (PDF only).
- Books submitted should be published in English.
- Not more than three (3) years since publication (only books published in 2020 and later).
- Traditionally published books are not eligible.
- eBooks should not be a gift to download from Amazon. This is because the gift goes to just one person. Because of the judging process, the ebook may need to be read by multiple people.
- We will not accept invitations to download files from websites.
- Theme. Books submitted should tell an extraordinary story about the present or future of Africa (Afro-currency and Afro-futurism).
- Submissions end on 15 April 2023.
- Submission Fee
- Print books – Ksh.2000 per title.
- eBooks – Ksh.1,000 per title.
- Payments to be send to Mystery Publishers through one of the following methods:
- PayPal or Payoneer, email address email@example.com for those using PayPal/Payoneer/international writers, or
- Lipa M-Pesa, Pay Bill No. 909534 with your name as the account number,
- Credit/Debit Card payment through Publisher’s online payment gateway, DPO Payments (the Author to contact the publisher for procedures), or
- Mobile Banking using M-Pesa:
- Go to M-Pesa>Paybill (put KCB Paybill 522522)>Account No. 1203888244>Amount>Enter your M-Pesa PIN>OK
- Direct Bank Deposit to:
- A/c. Name: Mystery Publishers Limited
- A/c. No. 1203888244
- A/ Currency: Kenya Shillings (KES)
- Bank SWIFT CODE: KCBLKENX
- Bank: Kenya Commercial Bank (KCB)
- Branch: Tom Mboya, Nairobi, Kenya
- Bank Clearing Code: 01107
- Submission Guidelines
- Five (5) hard copy books for every title submitted are to be dropped at/sent to Nuria Bookstore, The Bazaar Building, Moi Avenue, 11th Floor, Suite No. 1105, Nairobi, addressed as follows:
To Mystery Publishers Limited
Tel: +254 718 429 184
Book Prize Submission
By [Your Name and Contact Details]
Once you send or drop your books at Nuria Bookstore, please let us know via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- eBook submissions should be through email (email@example.com) as follows:
- subject heading: ‘Afrika Redefined Indie Book Prize submission by YOUR NAME’;
- Cover email and the eBook attached.
- Selection of submitted books by Mystery Publishers. We look for professionally published books (whether a book is well presented—cover, pictures [if relevant] and layout) following industry standards.
- The selected books are then taken through public voting, where readers vote for the book with the most extraordinary story to produce a shortlist of ten books.
- The shortlisted books are forwarded to a judges’ panel comprising beta readers, editors, authors, and publishers. They are given Book Score Sheets to complete for every book received. In general terms, the most important aspects they will be looking for are: whether a book is well written (including structure and style), and Afro-currency and Afro-futurism in the themes.
- The winning book is announced at an award ceremony at Alliance Francaise de Nairobi, and the winner is awarded the prize money, a trophy, and a certificate.
- The first and second runners-up will be awarded a certificate.
- Mystery Publishers shall print 1,000 copies of the winning book and donate them to schools and community libraries. The winning author shall be expected to accompany MPL during these events.